Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Spin Cycle: Back to School


As much as I love summer, once the students walk in the door, I realize how blessed I am to be able to do what I do. and not think of politics and pay cuts

I usually start off by having the students write me a letter telling me about themselves. That way I can get a writing sample and get to know them both. Win win.

So I'll share some randoms from their letters. Jen gave us a free spin this week on the old cycle.

My favorite subject in school is language arts...

My goal is to be smart in school, but I need to warn you Ms Pseudo, I'm not perfect...

My dream is to be a professional violinist...

I want to be a doctor to help sick people and save lives, but I also want to be a singer, and I am hoping I can do both...

My favorite thing is to go to the beach with my family because we are happy and my parents forget their worries...

Since my dad passed away I have been doing bad in school...

My favorite subject is math and my least favorite is language arts. In language arts you don't have any formulas.

My favorite thing to do this summer was to play with my cousins and roll down the hell...

As a student I guess I am alright. I have my good days, but if I am acting like a punk, just warn me on the side and I will behave...

For more free spins, head on over to Jen at Sprite's Keeper!

15 comments:

Michele said...

Yeah, what Anonymous said. NOT! Don't you hate spam comments?

I love the kid that admitted to sometimes being a punk but a side warning will ensure behavior.

I wept for the kid whose dad passed away.

Brian Miller said...

always interesting to see what is on their minds...from trying to set them selves up to very personal...

you are back to school already? we have like 3 weeks left...

Kristan said...

Oh man, those letters... So great. I love how honest kids can be. My heart broke for the one whose father passed away, but even more so for the one who likes going to the beach so their family can forget their worries... :/

The "punk" and the singing doctor were adorable. :)

Jan said...

Like Michele, my heart just broke for the child whose father had passed away. But I think I'd LOVE to see a singing doctor. :-)

Sprite's Keeper said...

A singing doctor? Hugh Laurie does it, no? :-)
One thing about Language Arts, it IS like math in a way. Math has formulas and L.A. has rules. The noun and verb must be placed so, just like x and y. But the best part about L.A., is you get to break the rules all the time as long as you use "quotes" and it flows with the story. Can math beat that???
You're linked!

Anonymous said...

My son prefers math and science because it is predictable and safe. Humanities freak him out even though he's a great writer and is interested in everything.

Oh Pseudo, you're reminding me that my time is short... wondering if I'll ever be ready to go back.

xoxo

Linda said...

LOL! I used to hate those assignments because I didn't think I was anyone special and how do you describe some one so ordinary?
What grade do you teach?

CiCi said...

I like the punk who is willing to hear when he/she needs to straighten out the attitude.

Mama Badger said...

I love how honest kids will be in a letter to a teacher. Its as if they know the person in front of them really is there just because they want to help. When do we all become such cynics?

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Yes, oh how I wish Language Arts had formulas. Would make it much easier.

Glad to hear you are excited for the new year of school. I'm not.

Cajoh said...

From the mouths of babes…

What a clever spin. Thanks,

Stacy Uncorked said...

Oh I love it! Never a dull moment as a teacher, is there?

Sad for the student who lost his dad...

Giggled over the 'punk' one. ;)

Great Spin! :)

Spin: Let's Talk Cock...atiel!

♥ Braja said...

Good one :)

Hey Pseudo, love, how the heck are you :))

xoxo

secret agent woman said...

Sounds like a nice crop of kids.

SuziCate said...

What a wonderful way to get to know your students a bit better before knowing them! I love the what the last kid said, sounds like a good kid.