Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Town Living: Traveling Thursday's Back


My head emerged from the boxes on Saturday and I took advantage of our new location in town to finally peruse the largest open market on Oahu. Located in the parking lot of Kapiolani Community College (KCC), it's a thriving hum of fresh produce, local goods, and food booths.

Large enough to be overwhelming, it's obvious I'll have to go back. A lot. But I didn't do bad for my first trip. I went with my daughter and my BFF "P," the infamous hostess of our annual Oscar's Partay. P was looking for ingredients for pizza, she planned to make a version of a yummy pizza sold at the market. I was hunting down fresh veggies for a salad.

What are you waiting for? Come along...
Don't forget to click on any image to see it larger.

Walking down from the upper parking lot, this is the view. I took classes here my first year in Hawaii (1983 ack!), before I transferred to UH. From the window in the class, sitting on the Koko Head side, I could look straight out at the ocean.


Walking through the campus towards the market...

me and P..closest I've come to a peek of me here...





Next time I'm getting there to hear the flippin horn and see what happens. I've been told crazy people rush the place to get the best of... well, I'm not sure what exactly. But I want to watch.




Awesome orchids




They had fresh, organic butter that I wanted to stick my face in. It was that good. My favorite was the coconut butter.





More goodies...




My bag after shopping.



Flower booth.





I love the mixed greens from Nalo Farms.





This was my favorite find that day. The proprietor makes spreads and dips out of taro that are delicious. I sampled them all and bought a chipolte, mustard dip.

Chili's and mustard, two of my favorite things.




Dips close up. There is a taro mayonaise that was also lip smacking delicious.


The infamous pizza. We all had a slice for lunch.


KCC is nearly walking distance to Waikiki. Don't forget to take a Saturday morning stroll if you are ever in Honolulu visiting.




Link on up and join the virtual travel fun!





31 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

All those goodies and you didn't make me a hamper?

I'll bet there are millions of crazies who stampede towards the market when the horn blows. Hell, I'd be there to run amongst them.

Lilly said...

Oh wow I love markets. Everything looks delicious and the pizza, oh yes. I must come back to Honolulu sometime soon. Its been awhile.

Brian Miller said...

very cool. love going to the market...thanks for taking us...though i am intrigued by the starting at the horn...hmm...

Rosaria Williams said...

I can totally get lost in those isles. And the flowers? My passion.

Shadow said...

i also wanna go......

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I would have spent a mint - it all looks sooooo good!

And I could smell the salt air and feel the sun when I looked at the pictures.

I'm so sick of winter.......

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

"Open at the sound of the horn," how cool is that??
Island living at its best!

♥ Braja said...

you're travelin' again already? :)

Unknown said...

I love your open market. Gorgeous shots ! : )

darsden said...

Beautiful, it was good to get out for a walk this morning. Thank you and being that is a close as I will get to that beautiful island, I appreciate the pictures.

Open market looks wonderful!

Kristan said...

Yay for getting out of the house! And that market looks amazing. I'm salivating just from looking at all the pics!

Mama Badger said...

Hmmm, that looks exactly nothing like our farmer's market. I still love you, but you stink. I want your farmer's market.

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I'm so jealous! That looks amazing.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I am THISCLOSE to licking the screen, that pizza looks so good!

Bill Lisleman said...

thanks for taking us to the market. Too bad we can't take anything home from a virtual trip.
two questions - was it hazy out that day? What's taro?
thanks

ds said...

YUM! Such a beautiful market, such luscious produce & flowers. Will have to take your word for the taro mayonnaise though. Thanks.

Cristin said...

That pizza looks kinda scary.

I wanna hear the horn too... bring your video camera next time K??

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm a huge farmer's market fan but I have NEVER seen one with pizza like that! I'm drooling it looks so good.

WOW.
xo

Gal Friday said...

God yes, I would love to be there for the sounding of the "horn" and watching the madness! Hee..hee..!
This tour makes me yearn for farmer's market seasoin here(not until mid May)

Jan said...

Oh, I can't WAIT for the local farmer's markets to open up here! You made me sooooo hungry - that pizza looks damn good.

It's good to have you back, woman.

Mike said...

The market looks like a resort! LOL

I wish that I could shop in a tropical paradise.

Liz Mays said...

Shopping in the fresh air sounds just heavenly. Everything looks wonderful!

Beth said...

All those fresh veggies made me hungry! And that pizza looks amazing.

You always have great pictures.

Fragrant Liar said...

So how hard would it be to box up that pizza and send it to me?

What a delicious day you had.

Melissa B. said...

Every so often, I try to nuture an orchid. Always, to no avail. I think I'm going to have to move to paradise...

Janell said...

Oh my yum. That pizza looks heavenly. Nothing beats the scenery in Hawaii (I'm a little jealous here - I've only been once, a year and a half ago, and I would love to go again!) Thanks for sharing - looking at the pictures I almost felt like I was there.

K Dubs said...

oh my that all looks delightful!!
My cousin just moved to Kihei - is that anywhere you know?? I'm going to find out where she's working (she's a bartender) and if you're ever there, you can meet her - almost as good as ME!! :)

Jack said...

Thank you so much for the invitation. It was a wonderful trip to the virtual market with you. I spent most of my time admiring the beautiful flowers and that pizza looks divine.

Looking forward to other wonderful delights as you explore your surroundings more and more :)

Just B said...

I loved the trip thru the market with you. I've been really missing Hawaii lately...

I thought the only thing they made out of taro was poi (:

Wild Child said...

Naked Cow Dairy would go well with my Naked Opinions. :)

hillgrandmom said...

Those Heliconia flowers are the 'in' thing here in my town in South India. They grow pretty well here.
Never knew you could make a dip with taro. Here we just cook it as a veggie.