Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TTT: Rock'n the Sushi

As you may imagine, there is a plethora of excellent Asian and Asian-inspired cuisines here in Hawaii. Japanese and sushi restaurants abound, from expensive high-end establishments to a local sushi chain which runs its fare on a mini convey-belt around the restaurant and by the tables and bar.

There is one sushi bar, which I know only by reputation, not being able to afford the high-end prices ( I have heard it will run one about $100 per person for dinner there). The reputation is not about the prices, but experiencing the "Nazi-sushi Chef." Word on the street is you will get yelled at and possibly even asked to leave if you drown his sushi in shoyu or commit other crimes of sushi.

I've always wanted to go and get absolutely screamed at, just for the fun of it. But not enough to pay $100 for the experience.

Today's TTT is featuring our family's favorite place for everything sushi.

California Beach Rock'n Sushi

We had heard about it for years, and finally dropped in one day last year.

We had an excellent experience and have been back several times since, most recently (today) to celebrate Son's 19th birthday.

Come along for the birthday lunch!

You can click on any photo to enlarge
The sushi chefs are amazing. The first trip we had a chef not pictured above, who wasn't here today. The chefs are all wonderfully talented and we have never been disappointed.


We prefer to sit at the bar, but there are also tables in the restaurant.


Couldn't be ROCKN without artwork of rockers, yes?


The last two times we have had Jesse as our sushi chef. He's amazing and we love to watch him create the dishes. Last trip we watched him make these cool shots of something totally intriguing and asked him what it was.

"Not on the menu, just something I made up"

Of course we had to try it.
We had two today. Just hubs and I. The grown children are not as adventurous. I asked Jesse what was in it.

"Everything good," was his reply.
That's a quail egg. There is also an oyster. Not sure what else. Very tasty.


We have this EVERY TIME. It is hamachi, thinly sliced, in a light ponzu sauce, with chilies and cherry tomatoes. So awesome.


This is the best misoyaki butterfish I have ever had. And I order misoyaki butterfish at every Japanese restaurant we go to. The spinach underneath is to die for and I don't even usually even like cooked spinach.


Lobster roll with dynamite sauce


Tamanaha roll. So good. California roll, panko-crusted, topped with ahi, and the signature hot lava sauce. Son ordered this one and I could hardly snap a photo before he dove in.



The Principal Roll. Fried onions on top.


Today's travel took you to our favorite sushi restaurant for Son's 19th birthday lunch.

Got travel? Tips on living like it's vacation at home? Link on up!


17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh lord pseudo...i love sushi...this looks great...and i might just have to try that oyster/egg/kitchen sink thing just to say i did...good stuff...not sure on teh getting yelled at for $100 though...ha

Jeff said...

Looks delicious. But I don't think I'd care to be yelled at for $100... After seeing where and how fish were raised in Indonesia, I was leery of anything not well cooked. I'm posting travel post frequently now at the blog I set up for this summer. I have three more written, I just have to get the photos selected.

Shadow said...

now my tummy's rumbling......

Kristan said...

Omigod now I'm so hungry... I'm FINALLY getting Andy into sushi (he doesn't like seafood much, so it's been hard) and I haven't had breakfast yet, lol. This is torture.

LOVE "crimes of sushi," haha.

Thanks for this fun and informative post!

Linda said...

O.M.G. I love sushi but it's a bit tough to find here in back woods SC. I'm sure I could find an excellent place in Greenville -but the hour drive each way puts a real damper on the quail shots:)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Crimes of sushi?
Careful, they may turn that into a tv show..

Anonymous said...

Looks really fun. So good to see you in my reader. I hope I can participate in TTT soon.

xo

Anonymous said...

Looks really fun. So good to see you in my reader. I hope I can participate in TTT soon.

xo

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I want the lobster roll.

I buy sushi in the grocery store, but I'm thinking it is not quite like any of this. Perhaps need to expand my restaurant life. Perfect excuse not to cook anymore.

Mama Badger said...

Mmmm. Sushi. Damn, now I want sushi. But my wallet screams NO!

I'm hoping to have a TT next week. It just takes the motivation to download the pictures.

K Dubs said...

Not a fan of sushi, but the pictures look great and a very VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the boy!!! 19. Yikes.

secret agent woman said...

You know how much I love good food. And I particularly like good sushi. But there is no food good enough to tolerate someone yelling at me or insulting me. Your family's favorite place sounds good, though.

Casey said...

If it'll make you feel better, I can scream at you for free?

Not a sushi fan but if we're ever in your neck of the woods, I will send Jamie with you for sushi.

Joanna Jenkins said...

What gorgeous food presentations! YUM! Glad you got a night with the hubs.
xo jj

anymommy said...

And now I'm so jealous that I barely like you any more. I still love you though.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm...sushi. I'm coming!

Julie H said...

I've never had sushi. Everyone says it's the bomb though!