Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Foto

This is my favorite beach on the North Shore. Lots of wonderful memories here. My husband and I came upon it when we were dating. It's not easy to find, you have to know where the beach path is between the houses.

When I received my bachlor's degree from UH we rented a beach house here and stayed a week with my family from the Mainland. After we had my daughter, we stayed here again. It's also the beach where I stay with my women friends every year for Laborless Labor Day weekend.

Both of these pictures were taken on the same day last spring during whale season. That day was just my daughter, Border Collie, and I. See the point at the end of the reef? The next shot is only about 50 yards past that point.

That big spash there is a humpback whale. It put on a show for us for about 10 minues. This is the best shot that I got that day. But that whale was breaching over and over. It would shoot its tail up into the air and SLAM it down like it knew we all were watching.

This was a great day.
For more of Friday Foto, check out Candid Carrie.

18 comments:

Candid Carrie said...

Welcome! Does your daughter know you are here?

Pseudo said...

Yes she does. She's 19 now and reads my posts.

Jay Jay said...

Great pictures. Beautiful spot I can see why you keep returning. Have a great weekend.

JayJay

Jack said...

You are lucky to have such a breathtakingly beautiful spot. Amazing shots!

Ash said...

Incredible - thanks for sharing!

Hidden away beaches are the absolute best. Keep that treasure well buried.

Em

cheatymoon said...

Look at that blue water!! Nice to see on such a cold and dreary day here in Maine...

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by.

That's a beautiful spot. Here I sit miles away from any beach at all. Thanks for sharing.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Beautiful and so exciting. What a great and special spot!

Anonymous said...

oh!...needed to see that spot, it's raining here today and will be for a few days...this pic is lovely...and the whale, how wonderful...maybe next time you will catch it in the air...those are such hard shots to catch!

Anonymous said...

wish i was there.

Anonymous said...

You've found a beautiful spot! And, sigh, you're making me miss Hawaii a lot. I don't get back until next August and that seems like eons away!

Pseudo said...

Well, it's not raining here right now, but the weather is mostly cloudy. Not that it mattered either way; I was stuck in the classroom all week where I can't see outside.

thistle - that tail shot was SO HARD to time. Every shot I took I'd just get the splash!

Just B said...

Just found you (through a comment you left on Slouching...)

Love the name of your blog! Amazing photo, too.

I used to live in Hawaii eons ago. (really hard to wrap my brain around just how long ago I was in HS!)

Pseudo said...

OHS i have a friend who moved to Guam last year. She says it's beautiful. Also close to losts of cool places to adventure.

just b- Welcome!

Pancake said...

you are so lucky to be there!! What gorgeous pictures!!!

Teri said...

Your photos are beautiful. That's so cool that you got to see the whale...I've never been so lucky.

Found you on Candid Carrie.

Anonymous said...

Must... get... to Hawaii...

We have whale watchers here in the Puget Sound. They go out and watch the Orcas in the rain. Sometimes, in the wind and rain.

Rhea said...

That's so awesome ya'll saw a whale so close!! What a beautiful beach.