Sunday, November 9, 2008

And the Winner is.......

But first, the weekly wrap up.

Some stuff this week on the internet:

In the mood for something fun, light, and the cutest thing since, I don’t even fucking know? I mean a video that makes BC look like old school run of the mill? Abstraction has a video post of a little French toddler, Capucine, telling her mom a story into a video camera. You ain’t heard nothing if you haven’t heard a little French cutie pie say hippo and crocodile in French. My daughter and I watched it twice last night, and that was after I called her in after watching it once myself.

Another of Abstraction’s posts is a great idea for Christmas. “Christmas is coming, and instead of giving your money to Target or Wal-Mart, 100% of your contribution will go directly to helping sweet Indian children receive a quality education! This whole art benefit will be on an official George Foundation website in the next month or so...but I am giving you a sneak peak of the amazing art that will be a part of this benefit, just in case you're an early shopper...” D’Arcy (Abstraction) is spreading the message for her friend Emily.

Thistle has an interesting post on guns, and since she’s Canadian, both the post and the comment thread explore thoughtfully a variety of perspectives on this issue.

A new blog for me, Whiskey in my Sippy Cup (and really, how can anyone not check out a blog with this title) has an excellent post on the backlash of Prop 8 making it through.

Salon has an excellent article about George W. Bush’s 8 year effect on the environment, along with some scientists’ ideas for Obama to try and turn the tables.

Last, and certainly the most entertaining for me personally, was my migraine med induced idea of a contest. First of all, I’d like to thank all who sent me well wishes. That is the second time internet positive vibes worked like magic. Because after suffering for 3 and ½ days, by yesterday afternoon I was feeling OK. Not OK enough to risk sipping a martuni. But OK enough to go out to an impromptu late lunch with my daughter. We invited a close friend to come along as she had called earlier and said if I felt better and was up to anything to let her know. How odd that my close and dear friend (“P”) that was spending the late afternoon with my daughter and I would be the one who got the most votes to be me. Which is quite the compliment, because she is gracious, fun, funny, and a great friend. We had a lovely lunch at The Pineapple room in Macy’s, followed with browsing through Ala Moana. Nordstrom’s opened a few months ago and I’ve never been, so we strolled down there and tried on expensive clothes just for the fun of it. Plus Daughter and P said I just had to experience the dressing rooms. We ended the day in Sephora, trying lotions and creams and asking the poor sales girl which cream would get rid of our wrinkles and sun spots.

So, thanks all for having some fun with me on my 51st birthday. Look like there is no need for a tumble. Liz is the only one who guessed correctly. I’m the one sitting with a baby in my lap (not son – baby is son of the other blonde I was mistaken for). That baby is now a 9th grader and like a younger brother to my 16 year old. They ride dirt bikes on the weekends together on the North Shore. The cutie in the pink dress is Daughter. Since all of my friends had boys, she is the spoiled girl that gets to hang with mom and the aunties.

21 comments:

Mr Lady said...

Thank you so much. I was really scared to put that post up. It's really out of my comfort zone. I'm glad to know you don't think I'm evil for it. :)

Pseudo said...

Mr Lady, I thought you were awesome for that post.

Anonymous said...

damn it!...that would have been my second choice, based on hair colour (i've seen your avatar) but to be honest i thought the one i picked looked like your grandfather (from the pic on your sister's site)...might need to have a little talk about that LOL


and thanks for the linky love, i too wondered if it was taking on a subject that might be a little too hot to handle, but it seemed to go pretty well...next up...creation vs evolution...not...LOL

glad you're feeling better and happy birthday again!!

Pseudo said...

thanks thistle. I am feeling better. And yeah, I thought the avitar's hair color was going to give me away. I have to make a new one; I left her in an Obama shirt for so long that when I went to change ehr after the election, I couldn't rmemeber my password.

Anonymous said...

LOL...was wondering why she had disappeared, here i thought you were just trying to not give any hints away...whoops...but, i think we've all done that...i have at least one card in my wallet that i don't remember the PIN for...seriously, where's a hacker when you need them?!...

Anonymous said...

ok...after my gigantic screw up last night that makes forgetting you avatar password look pretty lame, i have replace all both posts and all the incoming comments...altho they need a little tweaking...and i will now have to go back and try to remember what my replies were to each...sweet jaysus...

but you may want to fix the linky-love link...or not...or maybe people will just be decide to come on by to stare at the train wreck LOL..whatEVER...going to bed now wish i had a xanax! lol

Cheers!

cheatymoon said...

Cool! You look great! What a fun contest. Good for you for posting photos (you are a braver woman than I). I'm glad the migraine subsided. And Sephora sounds like a good remedy to me...

Lori said...

Happy belated birthday! I was gone this weekend so just read that it was your birthday. Hope your feeling much better after that migraine. Sounds like you had a nice time with your daughter and friend...times like that are so precious. Anyways, hope your birthday was happy!

Kristan said...

Love this new pic too!

Kristan said...

OMG THAT FRENCH BABY IS SO CUTE!

Pseudo said...

Thanks moive,smiles and Kristan. I am Ok sharing with my blogger friends, but the pic will come down soon as you never know who else might come by out her in virtual world.

and Kristan - YES. SO. SO. CUTE.

Mama Dawg said...

I KNEW I should have gone with my first choice.

Congrats to the winner!

Glad you're feeling ok now!

Debbie said...

That French cutie is, well, too cute. And I am so glad you are feeling better. I was sick all weekend as well and I was whiny about it! I want my weekend back.

InventingLiz said...

Whoa, talk about a lucky guess! I did think the baby on your lap was your son, that's why I guessed the way I did!

I think I'll take the poetry book, my attention span is too short for anything longer than a poem lately!

Vodka Mom said...

damn I hate to lose. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. :-)

glad you're back to normal......

Anonymous said...

that french baby is adorable...and i too was intrigued by the 'whiskey in my sippy cup' moniker...what a brilliant idea!

and apologies for the babbling last night...or was it this morning... in your comments section, i really need to self-impose a curfew on myself so that no late night blogging is allowed.

and the comment about your forgetting your avatar password should have been 'tame' not 'lame'...sorry...

Anonymous said...

did you notice the "funniest" thing... most of the guesses picked your friend who bears a physical resemblance... to our sister.

Anonymous said...

geez mom, they don't get to see me now huh? oh well, i'm much cuter in the earlier picture. :p

Anonymous said...

I love whisky in my sippy cup. Mr. Lady is great! One of my faves!

OneZenMom said...

Oh, that video was the most darling thing! Thanks for sharing it! :)

Unknown said...

THank you so much for your reference to my art project. It is now up on the website and I am expecting really excellent things.


And in just two weeks from today I will be sitting in a Parisian park hopefully hearing lots of Frenchies say "crocodile!"


You are wonderful!!