Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lost. Also Known as Mokule'ia.


Hubs and I are both beach people and I sometimes wonder what it is like to live here and not like the beach. Most of my friends who don’t like the beach are people who grew up here, so I guess it makes sense that those of us who would migrate 3,000 miles across the ocean and end up staying here might do so because of the beaches.

The island isn’t all that big; still, strangely, there are many isolated beaches that are beautiful AND deserted.

Today’s Travel Tip Post is one such area. Mokule’ia. Here’s a map. Remember, you can click on any of the images to see them enlarged.


See how Mokule’ia is all by itself? Nearly everyone heading to the North Shore goes east towards Hale’iwa and the world famous surfing beaches. But when you make the fork in the road, go left (west) towards Wailaua, past Wailaua, and out towards where the road ends at Ka’ena Point.

You will pass Camp Mokule’ia, a private camp owned and run by the Episcopal Church. If you stop along the road just past this camp, there are beautiful stretches of isolated beaches.

Drive on down the road, and across from Dillingham Airfield is a public park with parking, picnic tables, and showers. If you go up just for the day this is a good place to hang out.


If you want your own little tip of heaven, walk down the beach a ways to where we go. See that point at the end of the beach? That's our spot.

First you will pass a clump of beach houses smack dap on the beach. Owen’s Retreat. We stayed in the white house summer of ’98 and summer of ’99. My dad rented out the house; both my sisters and their families came out. We played board games and cards on the deck, whipped up delicious meals, let the cousins run around like crazy. Snorkeling. Reef walks. Barbeques.



Precious times. Cocktail hour sunset was a favorite.



The homes are owned by a local family and my hubs is friends with the sons since school days. Really nice family.



Rent the white house for a large group and the little orange studio right on the beach for a couple.


If you walk past the house and head up to the next point, you will come to a great “blue hole.” See, Mokule’ia is situated on a reef.

Which is great for snorkeling and for avoiding big waves when it is breaking like monsters everywhere else. That surfer is getting ready for a long paddle out. The surf point is way out there, but the waves that day were pristine.


So, to go swimming, you need to head to a break in the reef, which hubs has always called blue holes.

When you set up your chairs on the beach, it isn’t just the gorgeous view of the ocean you will enjoy. The small, private airport, Dillingham Airfield, is home to Skydive Hawaii and Soar Hawaii. Every half hour or so a small airplane dumps a clump of skydivers and while you are cruising on the beach you can watch them twist, turn, and twirl their way down. Soar Hawaii gives glider rides. First you see the small planes tow up the gliders and then you get to watch the gliders zig and zag back and forth across the ocean like a hypnotizing waltz in the sky.
Occasionally a glider will perform 360 rolls and I always am jealous. I love that stuff. Hubs, who fears heights, shakes his head. In ’98, a few of us went to the airfield and took glider rides. It was one of my favorite things I’ve done ever.

Further west of our little point in paradise, are a few random beach houses. Along these stretches were where the beginnings of Lost and the Lost crashed plane were staged.

You will also pass Camp Erdman if you go far enough. This is where the public school kids on the island get to go during 6th grade. It was the highlight of my kids’ elementary school education. My 47 year old hubs can still detail each day he spent at this camp 35 years ago.



Will post about Elton last night another time.

Have a Travel post to link up? Heeeeeerrrrrreee’s Mr. Linky.

41 comments:

Liz Mays said...

It kinda sounds like the perfect place to refresh one's spirit. I love that you know of little hideaways like this. :)

cheatymoon said...

I totally recognize that Lost beach!
I really would like to have knowledge about Hawaii that is better than from reading or watching tv. Seriously, I need to get over my fear of flying and go one day.
Also, I miss Travel Tip Thursdays so much. I need to jump back - just have been so freaking busy. Ack.

Mama Badger said...

Sigh, I want to be on that beach right now. The sparkling white outside my window is not sand, alas.

Brian Miller said...

very nice...we found a place similar when we lived in florida...loved to go there and dive for sand dollars and shells...

Jack said...

Oh, you have no idea how much I needed this post today. Paradise!

We are looking at another day of grey flannel sky with a dirty white blanket of snow covering the ground - UGH!

Rosaria Williams said...

I will keep these hints in mind when I begin to plan my Hawaian get away. Lovely sights.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Oh, how wonderful to see beautiful beaches in January...thank you! I was in Hawaii a couple of years ago but it was for work with no extra days there...unfair!

Jan said...

I live about an hour south of Mama Badger, so I'm looking at the same expanse of sparkling white. She's right, too - it's not the same.

*sigh*

Sprite's Keeper said...

Gah! So pretty! I can't stand it!
(and it would be nice to walk along the beach and run into Sawyer, of course..) :-)

Amy said...

I want to be some place warm right now..

Matty said...

I've never been to any of the islands there. My wife is a beach person and would love this. Those pictures look so inviting.

Beth said...

The pictures are all fantastic and this really makes me want to go to Hawaii (still!). I'd do almost anything to get somewhere warm.

Cristin said...

I'm one of those - Grew up on the water and can't stand the beach.

I'm also with my sister and doubt I'll get over my flying anxiety and get my ass to Hawaii.

Mike said...

I always look forward to your travel posts. They make me want to go explore! seriously.

Anonymous said...

Okay,now I'm really coming! Get your guestroom ready! I, my dear, am a huge beach person (well I used to be a smaller beach person, now I'm a bit bigger so less comfortable) but a liquid sunset sounds awesome!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

If, no, WHEN I go to Hawaii, I am so going there. It looks like heaven, and I love the deserted aspect. As well as the LOST aspect, my fave show!
Um, I'm not writing these directions down; I'll just call you when I come...

tera said...

Hubs and I would like to come to Hawaii for our 10th anniversary...only 3 years to go!
...sigh...

tera said...

Great pix, by the way!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Your insider's view makes this place so much better. A little piece of heaven!

ds said...

Thanks for sharing this perfect bit of paradise! It warmed this cold, cold night.

Heather said...

Oh, it looks so peaceful and relaxing.

Thanks for the journey!

mo.stoneskin said...

The place looks fabulous, I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction to it, but most of all I'm envious of the shack on stilts. How much to rent that for a week?

;)

Shadow said...

these are the beaches that i like. off the beaten track... you sure live in a beautiful place.

Mrsbear said...

I always leave your travel posts with a restless spirit. It looks so inviting. Such beautiful views, I can almost picture myself there.

sage said...

Beautiful area--I didn't get a travel tip post together this week, but I did post a pic of the beach and a "beached sailboat"

Little Ms Blogger said...

Okay, it's snowing here and these pictures make me sigh....ahhhhh....

A far cry from making sure I let my car run for 30 minutes so it doesn't freeze up.

Wish I was there.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

The blue in the second to last photo is incredible!!

Captain Dumbass said...

Sigh.

Lori said...

Thank you for the virtual trip out of my frozen tundra. Any time I need to escape this madness I just need to visit your place here. :) Thanks for the trip! XX

The Rambler said...

Whew...I have not been that way for a while.

I need to dust off my North Shore shoes and gets to cracking :)

Thanks for reminding me how beautiful it is in our islands!!

shaunna said...

favorite.place.in.the.entire.world.

and i wish i was there.

but you already knew that, didn't you? :-)

CiCi said...

Nice meeting you and finding another interesting blog. I read some of your posts and like the overall look of your blog. Visually clean and easy to read. I hope the Hawaii Tourist Board is paying you for enticing bloggers to Hawaii with your fabulous travel posts.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Do you know what your blog is today? TORTURE...LOL...It is sooo cold here...and I am escaping into your wonderfully, warm-looking beach photos...is it helping me feel warmer? Probably not. But even so, it is always a treat to see your beautiful posts and to read your well-crafted words! Have a wonderful week, dear Pseudo! ~Janine XO

Fragrant Liar said...

Incredible how UNpopulated those beaches in the photos were. I never knew Hawaii still had such remote places. But then again, Hawaii itself is remote...

I think I need to rent that little orange cottage. By myself.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I want to live there. Now.

Carolyn...Online said...

That was the best inside info ever! I would love to have this kind of inside scoop on every place I ever visit. Because most of what I know about Hawaii is what I learned from watching Magnum P.I.

Casey said...

It's beautiful there. I grew up near the beach and loved it when I was younger but not so much anymore.

Jason, as himself said...

Soooo lovely. I think I am about the only person I know of who has not been to Hawaii!

Ginny Marie said...

You may need to change your profession and become a travel agent just for bloggers. Because you've got us all ready to pack our bags and head for the islands!

Heidi said...

Wow, so beautiful. I wish I was at the beach right now instead of buried under two blankets in frigid Vermont!
I'll have to remember to check your advice if I am ever lucky enough to visit Hawaii.

Wild Child said...

Love the beach tips. If we get to Oahu, I am definitely taking your advice!