Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Helping Hands Project

Merry SITSmas.
For more SITSmas cards, games, prizes, and fun; visit the gals
It's a major fun party going on over there.


And now for the Helping Hands Project:

In the spirit of the season, Thistle at Of Thistles and Maple Leaves has started a project on her blog that challenges readers in the blogosphere to “help out your own community in some small way. It can be your personal community, or it can be the global community. It can be either a big gesture, or a small one. Just do something. Anything. And encourage others to do the same. “

The Rules:

1. Choose some way to give back.

2. Tell us all about it; post it on your blog. Then come back and pick up your award. Choose one badge or the other, or both if you’re really in the spirit. And don’t forget to link back to thistles helping hands page so we can follow what everyone is doing. And if you’re doing something already, pick up your badge right this minute!

3. Challenge all visitors to your site to do the same. Link back to the blog where you received the idea. And let’s see where this can go; let’s create a tsunami of good will and good deeds.

“And if you are in need of some inspiration as to what you can do….this post at Only a Movie should provide it. Erin is way ahead of the rest of us and we should all follow her lead.” Thistle

I’m going to start the ball rolling here by posting about something I do already. In my sidebar you will see a badge for Women for Women International. It is an organization dedicated to helping women survivors of war rebuild their lives.

Women for Women International mobilizes women to change their lives through a holistic approach that addresses the unique needs of women in conflict and post-conflict environments.

We begin by working with women who may have lost everything in conflict and often have nowhere else to turn. Participation in our one-year program launches women on a journey from victim to survivor to active citizen.

When you join this organization, you select a country (I selected the Republic of Congo) and Women for Women matches you up with a woman in need. For thirty dollars a month, a woman receives help with basic utilities as well as an education.

If you are looking for a way to give back, a wonderful idea of giving to cancer victims can be found over at Meaghan at I Kicked Cancer’s Ass.

For more inspiration, read this article about giving back.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous...love the Huffington Post Article and will be checking out the Women for Women program myself...

Thanks for participating and all your support...i think i will link to you for the HuffPo article,,,

Cheers!

Kristina P. said...

I'm going to go and sing Christmas carols at our church nursing home. Love this idea!

Kristan said...

What a great idea, and WfW sounds like a wonderful organization. I'll have to think about what I can to do participate...

Just B said...

This is a really great idea. I used to do WTW with a book group back in CT. I'll have to think of something that can include my girls. Thanks for the gentle nudge in the right direction.

Pancake said...

Whata great idea!! I am helping fund raise for a school in Africa, helping the united way at Christmas with packages for those in need, need to do more!

Pseudo said...

Great! I hope you all are able to do a post on what you are already doing, or what you do later. Then your own readership will take it from there, spreading good will this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I'm going to be posting my own 'helping hands' tonight. I'll send you some linky love when I do ;).

Femin Susan said...

Hi,
Congratulations....Your posting is very interesting...Keep writing.. Welcome to my blog...
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ash said...

Wonderful idea - the local food bank is getting my help this year. So hard for so many people right now.

My greatest nightmare, not being able to feed my little ones.

Merry, Merry SiTSmas!

Em

Annie said...

Merry SITSmas to you! Great post about giving back this season!

~Annie

Valerie said...

Great post, I've been wanting to do something to help the needy. Merry SITSmas!

Lorina said...

Great Post.. Merry SITSmas.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Ho Ho Ho Merrrrrrrrrrrrry SITSmas!

And if there's anybody that deserves the $200 grand prize, it's me - oops! I mean you!

- Margaret

Kimberly @ Seriously Daisies said...

Merry SITSmas! :o)

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

merry SITSmas!!!

tara @ kidz said...

What a wonderful idea. Thank you!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

This is the definition of SITSmas! What a lovely project!

Unknown said...

Merry Sitsmas may the day be filled with love!

Sandy said...

Merry SITSmas!

Suzann said...

Merry SITSmas!

jewelstreet said...

I'm doing Meaghan's project!

Merry SITSmas! And I promise I won't tell you doggies what you said. :)

Anonymous said...

great project, thanks for sharing it.

I am partial to Mercy Corp ....found it when I lived in Portland where it is based. If there is conflict MC is there.

O

Pam said...

merry SITSmas!

Mimi said...

Hmm, thanks for this idea, I think I'll check it out.

Shan G said...

Merry SITSmas!!

I love the name of your blog.

The picture is just adorable!

Anonymous said...

Merry SITSmas! I think this year, my husband and I are going to donate toys we would have purchsed for our son to a needy family. He is only 18 months and doesn't realize that 'Santa' brings toys so he won't miss them!

Vodka Mom said...

kudos. :-)

Vickie said...

Merry SITSmas!!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Great choice! This is going to be awesome. Together we can really make a difference.

Carrie said...

Merry SITSmas a little late! I'm still working my way through the links, but I'm almost done!

Nice to meetcha SITSta!