Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday Foto: Thanksgiving and Living, Being There

The other day I posted about our annual Thanksgiving camping weekend on the North Shore and how I was trying to find balance. As in getting there was supposed to not stress me out. This Friday Foto log is of being there for Thanksgiving dinner, with 37 of our closest family friends that we have been blessed to spend this holiday with for several years.
The homes away from home.


Thanksgiving dinner buffet line.

Hubbies and my first plates with a little vino.
I was not able to make thistle's cran/yam bake as the stores were all out of cranberries.
Am planning it for Christmas now. Pressure still on thistle.
Relaxing round the fire with full tummies.

Marshmellow anyone? And yeah, there were about 6 kinds of pie too.

The teen boys have all taken up guitar this year. There were some interesting songs they made up, if you listened carefully... OK, not so much this one, but I didn't want to use a video with them too recognizable. Not sure if their moms would want them smack dab on the internet.

Then, awhile I posted a picture of the crabs. Each night we take the younger ones for a walk on the beach. This year, there was no moon, so the stars were out in all their glory. The kids collect crabs with flashlights while the moms talk story and follow along behind. The teens nowadays ditch us and practice testing the boundaries. Only a few years ago they were the ones thrilled by the crab catching and the crab races.

And now................I bring you the crab race:

For more Friday Fotos, click here.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness...what a great trip this was...and i love that you are able to share it so vividly thru the videos. I need to get this kind of video capability...it's like being there! Thanks so much for sharing. Oh, and better get your cranberris on your next Starbucks Peppermint Latte run...in case they run out again LOL.

Pseudo said...

24 - it is fun.

thistle - i just use the video in my little, semi-cheap digital camera. and yeah, i'm grocery shopping this weekend. my idea of getting ready for the holidays is to stock up on treat beverages, like to make jan's chocolate martini and some bailey's coffees.

Kristina P. said...

Oh my goodness! Those crabs look frightening!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks like a fantastic Thanksgiving.

Cristin said...

Will you adopt me so I can hang out on the beach for Thanksgiving and have crabs run across my feet?

Kristan said...

LOL omigosh why are you people standing there with bare feet around CRABS?!

I love the excitement. I've never had a Thanksgiving THAT big. Looks like chaotic fun. :)

Anonymous said...

oh lord...i forgot the chocolate martini...i need to go back and get that recipe, think i'd like to try that one this year too. And my camera...the movies are Quick Player so i have to figure out ho to change them to mpeg or something like that...

btw...loving the changes at wordpress...just for the record...

Vodka Mom said...

okay, that's IT. I am SO coming next year.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a blast!

Pseudo said...

Crabs running over bare feet, not scary. Feels kind of weird and tickly.

Pancake said...

Looks SO very fun!! What a great idea for thanksgiving

Just B said...

The videos were great! Loved the talking story while the kids scamper with the crabs under the stars. So much to be thankful for, ya?

Laura said...

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you so much for coming to visit me. Oh how I miss Hawaii. I feel like I hear the waves crashing.

Queen Bee said...

I used to go crabbing with my dad when I was little and I would run from them and jump in the car. I can't believe you guys had them on your feet. Haha

rachaelgking said...

The crabs are giving me the creepie-crawlies!!!

Ann On and On... said...

New with SITS....I am taking the afternoon to read new blogs. I hope you do not mind me stopping by. Feel free to check out my blog. I am having a give-a-way *December 1 post*....that will end on Monday. Three winners! :D

What a great weekend...lots of friends and good food. Nice.

InventingLiz said...

Looks like a great way to spend Thanksgiving! I left a tag for you over at my blog.

hillgrandmom said...

Sounds wonderful to have such great friends!

Debbie said...

Vodka Mom's gonna pick me up on her way and we are crashing this party next year! What a blast. We love to do the crab race thing too.

Unknown said...

I am MORE than majorly impressed with that kind of put together, I mean, who cooked all the food for all those people! You guys must have it organized, but wow! How much fun! So much fun! This is amazing. Can people crash the festivities next year? And by people, I mean me!

Pseudo said...

Thanksgiving dinner = each family has a contribution. I do yams and creamed spinach. Two families do turkey and the turkeys are awesome. They bring out a smoker and inject the hell out of them with butter.

Each family does a meal. I did Saturday night with another family. We made chili, hot dogs, corn bread, and salad. I made Smart Mouth Broad's cornbread and it was gone in a flash.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Oh, this looks like such fun! What a great Thanksgiving. No wonder you keep going back every year!

Rhea said...

What a wonderful way to spend Thanksgiving!!! I love it. What a lot of fun. I'm so jealous...