Sunday, December 21, 2008

Spin Cycle: Ode to thistle and maple leaves

Sprite’s Keeper has a weekly spin cycle, where participating bloggers put a spin on a writing topic. I’ve read Goodfather’s spins and I enjoyed the heck out of them (try his shed series during Halloween). So I moseyed on over to Sprite’s. I had plans to join in the last cycle, but my job got in the way of anything close to actual writing. This week’s I couldn’t pass up.

Play Secret Santa and write about a blog you enjoy.

So I sent a list of blogs to Sprite’s Keeper, received my assignment, and am tickled pink to be Secret Santa blogger of a really special blogger.

Da da da DA! Without further ado, I present a little tale of one of my favorite blogs:

Of thistles and maple leaves.

I ran into thistle in my first ventures out into the comment world. I think it was this post. Thistle lives in British Columbia and these shots of the trail where she walks her dog stopped me in my tracks with a sharp intake of breath. OHHH! Pretty. Gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. The icing on the photographic stunningness was the inner monologue that went along with the pictures. One because it was a Wordless Wednesday (I loved that she could not help but narrate the pics). Two, because she had to let the internet world know that her dog’s penis really wasn’t as big as it appeared in the photograph.

So, I left a comment and I let thistle know how much I enjoyed the photos of her world. She came and checked out this blog post and left this sassy comment, “OMG...is that...a palm tree at your feet? I will trade you both the woods AND the river for that view. Plus the Littleman. Well, maybe not the Littleman, maybe his mom...the Pipsqueak. She'll keep the beastie entertained for you...”

Thistle has several smooth terriers. And yeah. She offered to send me one for my ocean view. Thistle has a wicked sense of humor and is about the best I have ever seen at using the line out to mask/not mask her gift of sarcasm.

Like me, thistle is a horse and dog person. She just knows a lot more about them than I do.

Thistle’s insatiable intellectual curiosity, combined with her sarcastic sense of humor, makes her blog diverse and always a fun place to visit.

During our American elections and tabloid media frenzy, thistle diverted her readers by a series of posts on Canada’s elections. She managed to inform us and keep it really interesting. It had quite the calming effect.

She ran a series of hilarious pictures (try here or here or here) of dogs in costumes pre-Halloween. Then on Halloween itself, gave us a history lesson on the origins of Halloween.

She travels the internet and brings back fun and games, like a test to how old one's brain is. Or if one is more conservative or liberal in one’s politics.

She works in mental health and has a heart of pure gold to balance off her sassy wit. She volunteers for Special Olympics and is the creator of The Helping Hands Project.

What’s not to like?

Last time I heard from thistle, she was busy helping her dad fix his heater and shoveling snow.

So, here’s some balmy weather. I set up a chair for thistle. She might let some of you borrow it too.

And some funny dogs.






Merry Christmas from your Secret Santa.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL...that is one of the best Christmas presents EVER!!! And here, i thought you were just really bored, what with going thru my archives yesterday. Thank you so much, you captured the essence of my world beautifully. And I LOVE the VIDEO. Some days LOLdogs is the only thing that gets me thru, but i never would have thought to do a Moviemaker video of them. When we hit the 'pew pew pew' one...i nearly had to stop watching until i regained my composure. And you managed to include several of my favourites...Priceless. Thank you so much!!

ps I was just thinking about emailing you and begging for a beach pic as we are still shoveling snow and dealing with blizzard conditions. You may have just made my holiday. Cheers!

Pseudo said...

ah, gee, thanks thistle. I'd like to take credit for the video,but I just searched funny dogs on youtube. There are sequels there too, but I thought this one was the funniest.

I wondered if you could tell who was in your archives last night. I had a hard time selecting posts, but I had fun reading our comments from back in the beignnings.

Now I' off to walk BC in my tank top. Don't hate me too too much.
pew pew pew!

Anonymous said...

A worthy ode! And that doggie tube was so funny! You don't have to rub it in!

cheatymoon said...

What an awesome giftie, Pseudo. Fun!! I love the beach chair photo. (Cuz we're having a blizzard here too).

Really fun dog video too. Great job!

Vodka Mom said...

I love her, too! (and you, too, of course.....)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Perfect! Exactly the ode I was looking for! Very well executed and I saw her comment. She was so happy with it! This is SO making my day! Brilliant! You're linked and welcome to the Spin Cycle!

Sunny said...

lovely!

Just B said...

I think that deserves a Helping Hand award for that! You made Thistle's day and mine!

Mama Dawg said...

That is AWESOME! What a terrific Secret Santa you are!

Kristan said...

HAHAHA gotta love loldogs.

Pseudo said...

Hey everyone - thanks for the comments and glad you also enjoyed thistle's ode. Hope you got a chance to check her out if you don't already.

The Universe, being all about balance, made sure I started my break with a mega migraine. On the plus side, it was nice to not worry about work and sleep all day to work it out. I'm up and running now and hope to visit you all soon.

wr = punity, which I think means my headache is some kind of punishment. Must be for making a big dinner for my inlaws yesterday.

Lori said...

Great post about Thistle! She is one great lady and love her blog. She has a huge heart and I love her sense of humor. What a great gift you have given her...bless you for blessing this wonderful woman with your words!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, your'e a good woman phhhst.

Pseudo said...

thank-you brigit!

Casey said...

I'm going to have to go check her out now, I've never been by Thistle's place....
I'm glad you found a bloggy friendship, they're the best, aren't they?