Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Foto Plus

I won something! In Irish Gumbo's photo caption contest, I won the "Best New Vocabulary Award – For most interesting new word." In case anyone is thinking, well, English teacher.... the word that got Gumbo's attention was sodomator. Not your run of the mill, straight-laced, prim and proper expectation from the educator. If you want to see the picture that inspired it is here. The comment thread has a lot of fun captions to keep you chuckling over the weekend.

If you haven't visited Irish Gumbo, you should check out his blog. His writing is amazing. Start off with one of my two favorite posts. This one is about the birth of his daughter. This one is about a lost first love.

On a side note, if you read this post where I related the colorful language of high school students on a frigidly cold (62 degrees) day. Yesterday, it was 61 degrees and had quite the wind going. As I walked to the office the comments in the air were similar, but a boy walking with his friends behind me had this gem:

SHIT! It's cold. I'm glad I wore my fucking boxers today.

For more Friday Foto's, head on over to Candid Carrie's.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your award...i need to go check this out...'Im a Weiner' LOL...

reminds me of a t-shirt i saw once

Bad Spellers of the World, Untie!

Kristan said...

As opposed to his boxers that won't fuck? :P

Casey said...

Congrats on winning over at IG's place! I like the new word, it fit.

Pseudo said...

thistle - that would be a fun T-shirt. And yeah, my students are always amazed when I tell them I am not a great speller....AN ENGLISH TEACHER!! Hey that's what a dictionary is for.

kristan - that is exactly what I was thinking..

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Mmm I wonder if boxers are warmer than briefs? Or does he usually go without underwear which ewww.

Congrats on the award!

Pancake said...

CONGRATS!

cheatymoon said...

Gumbo is such an amazing writer. I can't wait for him to get published and we can say we knew him when. Same for my sis. :-)

Congrats and can you believe the stuff that comes out of students' mouths? lol. Keep warm and have a good weekend!!

Debbie said...

I popped over to see the photo and read your caption. I'm still laughing. Quick wit!

Michelle said...

Congrats fellow Weiner!
;)
(Love the word, btw)

Lori said...

Congrats on being a weiner! Thanks for making me laugh...I needed it!

Michele said...

Still giggling from the sodomator.

Those boxers are sure going to help on a cold day. LOL

Pseudo said...

Thank-you for the congratulations everyone!

Stacy Hackenberg said...

Did you know Sodomator is the name of a heavy metal band? I do only because I googled the word thinking, surely it's not a real word.

Since it isn't in the Merriam Webster online dictionary, you must have made it up.

I think I can guess what it means. Nor do I wonder how you came up with it. You work with teenagers and after a while, your brain gets twisted from the hormone stew in which it resides.

At any rate, kudos on the award. I looked at that picture and absolutely nothing came to mind.

Unknown said...

so cold so cold


love the new word.

Sunny said...

that's one cool word, indeed :))

Jack said...

That guy reminds me of Max Headroom character from the 80's.

Congratulations!
Enjoy your weekend :)

Mama Dawg said...

I'm always grateful when boys wear their boxers.

Kate Lord Brown said...

Cool word Pseudo - humorous with a hint of Arnie about it. The guy in the award pic is Max Headroom - did you have him in the US? x

bernthis said...

I read that story. It was amazing. Congrats on your win

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Congrats on the award. LOL @ "wearing the boxers today" Too funny!

♥ Braja said...

I've been a Weiner with Irish too :)

Mammatalk said...

LOL! That was a funny one, my friend. Boxers? Oh, my!

Thanks for visiting me on my big, bloggy day!

Beth said...

Congrats on the award! And who knew boxers could keep one warmer? We found some underwear in the boys bathroom yesterday. Maybe they were there because it warmed up a bit.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered you. The boxer comment really sums it up.