Thursday, October 23, 2008

Parts from My Past

To all who sent me internet well wishes - thank-you very much. I'm guessing it's powerful stuff, those internet good vibes. It appears I am migraine free since yesterday after struggling with a kick ass of a headache since last Thrusday.

I'd like to invite you to visit my sister's blog today. She has a post that I wish I had written about our maternal grandfather. With my favorite picture of my grandparents taken back in the day when they were quite social in Duluth, Minnesota.

My sister gave me a book of poetry for my birthday in 1994. As I have been working with my students on writing narrative poems the last two weeks, I broke out some books to look through for poems I could share with them. This particular poem was my favorite back then, when I was a spritely 36 years old. But I found it even more relevant to me today, fourteen years later. The poetry anthology is I am Becoming the Woman I Wanted.

Finding Her Here
Jayne Relaford Brown

I am becoming the woman I've wanted,
grey at the temples,
soft body, delighted,
cracked up by life
with a laugh that's known bitter
but, past it, got better,
knows she's a survivor-
that whatever comes,
she can outlast it.
I am becoming a deep
weathered basket.

I am becoming the woman I've longed for,
the motherly lover
with arms strong and tender,
the growing up daughter
who blushes surprises.
I am becomig full moons
and sunrises.

I find her becoming,
this woman I've wanted,
who knows she'll encompass,
who knows she's sufficient,
knows where she's going
and travels with passion.
Who remembers she's precious,
but knows she's not scarce-
who knows she is plenty
plenty to share.

10 comments:

hillgrandmom said...

A lovely poem--really perfect for my time in life too. Thanks for posting it.

Just B said...

One of those poems that reached inside and pulled out exactly what I was thinking. I love it when poetry does that.

In an eerie coincidence I wrote a post yesterday about becoming the woman I want to be.

Off to visit your sister...

cheatymoon said...

I love the poem. Thanks for posting. Visited your sis too. Isn't it cool to have sisters on the interwebs?

Anonymous said...

i'd forgotten that book and poem... apropos to the max, so glad you posted it. and thanks for sending people my way, and to those that came. (i think that picture may have been taken in minneapolis, though. or chicago.)

Pseudo said...

Poems and sisters - all nice indeed.

Anonymous said...

What a great poem. I still think about that photo of your grandparents. I was quite sincere with my comment (not knowing he was your grandpa). He had the kindest eyes ... really!

Anonymous said...

i think i may have heard this poem a while ago...i appreciate it so much more now...thanks for sharing it, your sister and your family pics.

Kristan said...

Love it.

Lori said...

Great poem and beautiful words written by your sister about this special man.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, this is priceless. I will have to keep a copy of that because it captures so much for me and who I am/am becoming.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Hope you're having a great weekend...

:^) Anna