Friday, April 2, 2010

A Heavenly Redux

The Spin Cycle this week was to post our favorite post. I opted to let the readers select and ran the random number generator. The Winner is Mrs. Bear and the post she selected was "Angels." This was written last Fall and the events happened during a very difficult time. I had been praying for a sign that things would get better...

Those of you who have been reading this blog for any length of time know I have been on a semi blog break this last month. I miss reading blog posts and have been an infrequent visitor. My own posting has been sporadic at best.

The unbloggable has reared its head like a dark phantom and this darkness has permeated each thread in the fabric of our family.

A lot of the time I have not been blogging I have been spending in meditation and prayer. I often pray for angels to watch over and help my family through this difficult period. The angels in my mind’s eye are heavenly angels, guardian angels, mystical and beyond this earthly world.

In order to not get sick while I negotiate one day at a time (because yes, the worrying has caused a dramatic weight loss and lack of sleep) I try to get out and take my walk. Yesterday, instead of walking in the morning, my walk was put off while I graded student work and made sure everything was stable in the home. So, instead of walking at my normal early A.M. hour, I set out a little after 11.

Walking in the heat of the day felt invigorating and cleansing in a different sort of way. About ¾ of the way down the bike path, I noticed a man a few feet off to the side, somewhat hidden in the bushes, leaning against a tree. I became a bit wary, as a woman walking alone (Border Collie is a true unknown variable when it comes to protection). I veered to give myself room to bolt, but as


I passed I noticed the man was leaning against a tree, eyes closed, and looking like he was meditating. He looked to be in his fifties, only about 5’5”, and perhaps missing a few teeth from the way his mouth hung slightly open. He looked like he was taking a break in the shade.

I passed him and went on.

On the way back, a good 15 minutes later, he was in the exact same position. I began to wonder if he might be OK. I almost walked on by as he still looked like he was asleep, and since that part of the trail is somewhat isolated, was also still unsure how much I wanted to encounter a strange man while I myself was alone.

But I stopped and said, “Hello…. Are you OK?”

“No. I ran away from my care home,” the man replied. He kept his eyes closed as he addressed me and his palate was handicapped in a way that made his speech difficult to understand.

“Can you open your eyes?”

“No. I lost my eyes as a child. I cannot see.”

“Can I help you somehow?”

“Yes. Please. Call my case manager and take me to the hospital. I do not want to go back to that home. They are mean there. I do not want to go back.”

I used my cell phone to call for an ambulance. He had run, barefoot, quite a ways. We were about 100 or more yards from the park parking lot and the neighborhood from which he had run.

“Do you want me to meet the medics and bring them to you or can you walk out?”

“I want to come with you.”

The man held out his hand and I guided him from the bushes. He took my arm. His hand was soft and pudgy, but he held my arm like I was a guiding force of light for him. He shuffled slowly and talked the entire way back to the road.

His name is Roy and he has been in care homes for a long time.

As he was placed on a gurney and hoisted into the ambulance he was smiling a little closed mouth smile. And he thanked me for helping him.

As I walked home the enormity of gratitude that I felt for a chance to be Roy’s angel gave me a buoyancy of spirit, even as I realized that Roy was my angel more than I was his. I said a prayer that those who can help my loved ones will recognize the need when and if the time comes.

I took this experience as a hopeful sign.

For more spins on favorite posts, head on over to Sprite's Keeper.
Do yourself a favor, click on the sunset and head over to read an amazing post...

29 comments:

cheatymoon said...

I had forgotten about this post, so thank you to Mrs. Bear for choosing it. Pretty sure I needed to read it tonight. xo

Rosaria Williams said...

Beautiful encounter for both of you. Sometimes these meetings teach us a great deal.

Brian Miller said...

nothing is random...this meeting included...

Sprite's Keeper said...

It's examples like this that make me believe in angels. You're linked!

Kristan said...

Mmm, I remember this one. Good choice by Mrs. Bear. Thanks!

Fragrant Liar said...

I remember this. Then as now, well done. :)

And hugs, too, for good measure.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

A reminder to be aware, reach out and help one another.

This was a wonderful post, very well-written.

Michele said...

Karma is like that. You help someone and your chances of being helped goes up. Thank you for overcoming your fear to help.

sage said...

a wonderful story, thanks for being his angel and letting him be yours.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

This was and is one of my favorite posts of yours as well...truly beautiful! And so well-written... I'm so glad you stopped...What a wonderful world this would be if everyone did the same! Thank you! Love, Janine XO

ruthibel said...

this was a lovely post... an epiphany of sorts... beautiful reminder of how precious each second of life is. thanks.

CiCi said...

Since I am fairly new to reading your blog, I did not read this when originally posted. How wonderful for you that you listened to inner calling to reach out to the man who turned out to be Roy. Fear has taken away the chance to help others in our society. I hope you are doing well today and that you and your family enjoy your Easter together.

Christy said...

This one gave me the goose bumps - thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a great weekend!

Little Ms Blogger said...

This is the first time I'm reading this and loved it. What a very moving piece and having an 88 year old father, I know how grateful this man was.

I was raised Catholic, but believe in some Buddhist philosophy -- this one in particular - every encounter is for a reason.

It sounded as though he helped put many things into perspective for you.

Mrsbear said...

Like me Mrs. Bear? No way! I do love the hopefulness (word?) of this post. Lovely and very you. :)

I'm giddy. Yay.

Unknown said...

Oh. That is so beautiful. I am so glad at your time of despair you were able to help someone else in need. what a blessing. I love that. I hope things get better soon. I will say a prayer.

Mimi Lenox said...

You are truly a Good Samaritan and were in the right place at the right time for that man. I'm sure he'll never forget it.

How awful to live such a life as he has been dealt. Bless you for helping him.

Mixed Reflections said...

Just found your blog & it's beautiful. It's amazing how being someone else's angel can reinforce the knowledge that you and your family are being looked after by the all-pervasive love and goodness in the universe!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I remember this post. It was just a great the second time around.

I'm back from Spring Break vacation and catching up on my reading. I hope all's well with you and your family.

Happy Easter,
xo

hillgrandmom said...

Yes, that was a memorable and very inspiring post of yours. Happy Easter to you and your family.

gretchen said...

This was absolutely beautiful and inspiring! And since I've only been a reader for a few months, I'm SO glad you repeated it!

Just B said...

I was out of the blog world when you first posted this, so I am so grateful for the re-post.

I'm not a religious person, more chosing my spirituality ala cart, so to speak. Angels are one of those items I've chosen to believe in, for good reason.

Heather said...

I got chills from this post! Just amazing that you didn't just keep going. Like devine intervention!

Thanks Mrsbear for requesting this one. So glad you recycled this one.

Jan said...

I remember - and love - this post. Thank you, Mrs. Bear, for requesting it~

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

What a wonderful post. It game me chills. Glad you brought this one back this week!

Stacy Uncorked said...

I remember this post - just as goosebump inducing now as it was then. :)

Liz Mays said...

I didn't recognize the beginning and I freaked out thinking there was a relapse. Whew, I'm so glad it wasn't!

25BAR said...

Nice!
sometimes, blogging can take up a lot of time.

Ginger@When Ginger snaps... said...

I'm glad you re posted this, because chances are, I would have never read it otherwise. It's a great story and it reminds of the verse in the Bible that says to be mindful of strangers, because many people have entertained angels unaware.