Monday, April 19, 2010

Humility and Sass Both Get Their Own Catch Phrases

The Spin Cycle this week is "quotables." Favorite phrases from movies, books, TV, etc.....

I know in context they bubble up like magic.

Only two came to mind over the weekend. Layered paradox.

The first we use in our family completely opposite of the intention of origin.

Don't ever let them see you coming...

If you don't know or remember the quote, you can go here to watch it in action. Let's just say it was meant for not altruistic intentions in this movie. In our family we have reinterpreted it to mean humility in action.

Don't brag.

No one likes a bragger. My son and his friends were always outdoing each other in the brag fest. Hubs used the Al Pacino quote to discourage bragging and it stuck. The boys were all boasting the various surf maneuvers they were capable of accomplishing. Hubs said "Who do you like better and cheer for? The guy who brags all the time or the guy who keeps his accomplishments to himself? If your really are good, show it - don't spoil it. Don't ever let them see you coming."

A sassy favorite of mine comes from my near encyclopedic knowledge of favorite phrases from Friends.

When I get completely and totally frustrated with getting interrupted...

Lips moving, still talking...

For more quotable spins, head on over to Sprite's Keeper.

26 comments:

Brian Miller said...

well then talk to the hand because the face aint listening...smiles. lol.

Cristin said...

Fun Spin topic!

I've recently heard myself saying;

"Because I said so"

"Because I'm the Mommy that's why"

and other equally embarassing Mommyisms.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Heh heh, I'm trying to get Sprite to quote some of my favorites. :-)
Maybe a little vlog action this Friday?
I love Friends quotes, I can usually get which episode it's from. Kind of sad considering there's a LOT of episodes.
You're linked!

tera said...

That's great! We were watching "Psych" last night and there were a lot of great one-liners, but I can never remember them the next day! I think I should definitely get me a "catch phrase", though...that would be awesome. :)

Mama Badger said...

Oh, I like both of these. Especially the Pacino quote. Hubs has the right idea!

My favorite friend's quote?

"I'd take a little crying any day over Howard, the "I win" guy. I win! I win! I went out with the guy for two months--I didn't get to win once."

cheatymoon said...

I'm known to say That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Other half has a bunch of old man saying, like if the shoe fits. He's a geek.

Fun spin.

CiCi said...

I like the lips moving, still talking one.

Amy said...

Happy MOnday...

Mrsbear said...

I think I might borrow the Friends one, I get interrupted quite a bit by certain people who apparently have no concept of "Lips moving, still talking..."

mo.stoneskin said...

Nothing like an Al Pacino quote to quieten a bragging lad.

Mike said...

At least you chose that Pacino quote instead of the ever popular "Say hello to my little friend"! haha

Fragrant Liar said...

My favorite Friends quote is from Joey. He says, "It's a moo point." Rachel says, "What?!?" And Joey explains, "It's like a cow's opinion."

Hahahahaha. Always cracks me up.

Nubian said...

currently my phrase of choice is "Bite Me" ~ yup, it has been one of those months!

Anonymous said...

Friends quotes are classic.

My daughter has a friend that is a really good athlete but she diminishes her skill by throwing it back at you over and over again. It's very ugly.

creative kerfuffle said...

sadly at our house the latest catch phrase has become "that's what she said." inappropriate much? the hubs is known to say (even when it isn't) life is good.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

"I may not be right but I'm never wrong!" my father. Oy.

Kristan said...

Friends is the best! Also: friends are the best. :)

Cloudia said...

Quotes are a big part of my daily blog!



Glad to meet you
Aloha from Waikiki, neighbor


Comfort Spiral

Captain Dumbass said...

"This plane has no phalanges!"

Jack said...

"Lips moving, still talking..."
ahha! Love this one.

Joanie said...

My favorite Friends quote?

Hey, just so you know: it's *not* that common, it *doesn't* "happen to every guy, " and it *is* a big deal!

and then Chandler: I KNEW IT!!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, that Friends quote is incredibly useful!!! Mind if I borrow it? This is such a fun post! Love these spins! ~Janine XO

Duchess said...

Like Only a Movie I often go for "that's my story..." But I like the Friends quote too.

Melissa B. said...

Mr. Fairway says that last one-and varations thereof-quite often. Do I talk a lot? Is a school bus yellow? Well,in our district it is!

Casey said...

Oh, I'm a bad blogger since I didn't even realize this week's topic. I like your quotes.....

Cajoh said...

I probably have tons of quotes, many of which I just make up myself (or bastardize from another).

I like the way you explain how the quotes are used.

Cool Spin,