Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Under the Sea...

I'm going to work late this morning and got up early nonetheless.

Did any of you all notice it's been a week since I last posted? Haven't been around visiting like I wish I was either.

You would not believe the week... I mean month... I mean, well, fuck it, the year I have had.

But it is mostly unbloggable so let's get on with the Traveling Thursdays.

Snorkeling and swimming in the warm, totally inviting ocean over here is, for me, one of the greatest perks of living on a rock in the middle of the ocean.

Most of my snorkeling takes places in the summers on the North Shore, when it is totally flat and completely gorgeous. I have a little lingerie laundry bag with a clip on it. I hook it up to my bathing suit bottoms and off I go shell hunting. It keeps me busy and out in the water.

We have vases of shells all over the house.

But there are also many places on the island to snorkel for reef watching and marine life viewing.

Hanauma Bay is a favorite for visitors. It's a park/reserve for marine life. You'll see a ton of fish. But get there early. All the tourists go there and the park only allows a certain amount of people each day. Get there after 8:00 AM and you might be DENIED.

Another great place is Shark's Cove. Located on the North Shore, this means no winter snorkeling because of the humongous waves.

My kids and my favorite place to go is Waimea Bay. From the parking lot go left to the end of the beach. On the back side of the giant rock where you will see all the crazy teens jumping off (you might catch a glimpse of my son there), on the back side is a quiet little place that is clear, gorgeous and a great place to snorkel.

Come along for a photo journey of fun day at Waimea Bay....















Aloha and link on up with your own favorite place...

27 comments:

Kristan said...

Love the pics, particularly the 3rd one, of the girls underwater!

Hope all is well...

cheatymoon said...

It looks like another planet from here. I would love to see that in person.
As always, good luck w/ the unbloggable - we're having an unbloggably delicious week here too. Ack.
xo

Cheeseboy said...

Hello fellow blogging teacher. Just happened upon you.

Hanauma Bay is one of my favorite places. These photos make me very trunky to go back.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Isn't Waimea the one with the huge jumping rock? Felt like my ribs were cracking when I hit the water!

Joanie said...

As always, simply amazing. :)

Brian Miller said...

looks like a great place...love the color of that water....

Nubian said...

One day my husband and I will visit. And yes I did notice it has been a week since you last posted, I think I may have sent you a 'nagging' email. ;D

Have a wonderful, peaceful day.

Mama Badger said...

Those kids are beautiful! They look like they're having such a good time.

Uhm, it's only Wednesday, though. I'm not ready with my travel tip yet... I was going to be ready for tomorrow. I swear, I'll be back. I will.

Michele said...

These pictures are fantastic! It's been over twenty years since I've been to Hawaii; time to go back.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Paradise!

Except for the f-ing hard parts.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Will you photograph some of your shells for those of us who don't have any?

I have noticed your absence. I hope you have a healthy outlet for your stress. Journal it. It will help; I promise.

Julie H said...

I've never been snorkling. Or to Hawaii for that matter. Looks like lots of fun. Is the water pretty warm there? It's always freezing cold whenever we go to the ocean.

mo.stoneskin said...

A week huh? I miss your regularity of the old days but I understand.

*sighs dreamily*

Nothing like a "lingerie laundry bag" to work a bit of SEO magic.

Beautiful photos. Makes me want to live near a beach that isn't SO DARN COLD.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, man, looks like heaven!
And I hope things are okay with you. You sure deserve it...

Nanc Twop said...

This week?...

Well, we just figured you were somewhere out there in the Pacific, bravely trying to beat the record".

Good Luck, btw... ;-)

Jack said...

That's were I wish to be. *POOF*... *POOF*... seems my magic wand is not working today hehe.

Thanks for sharing your lovely Islands again with us :)

Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of snorkeling in the bay! Thanks for the visual reminders- lovely! Best of luck with the unbloggables.It's time for a change, it's coming I can see it in my crystal ball! I'm joining you this week in travel.

CiCi said...

Your photos tell it all. Beautiful place and plenty of things to do for recreation.

Kingsmom said...

I just love your "tours". I'm terrified of snorkeling. Something I must get over...

Jan said...

Count me in on all sort of unbloggable, too. *sigh*

I want to go snorkeling. I love to go snorkeling. Can I come visit...forever? I'll cook...

Casey said...

I love those underwater pictures, Pseudo! Sorry there's still unbloggable stuff going on over there. :(

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Love, Love, Love the photos! Now I really want to get to the beach this weekend. Good luck with the yucky stuff.

Hugs!
SMB

Heather said...

Oh that looks like soo much fun! I really do miss being close to the water. I just can't get over how clear the water is there.

Love that pic of the turtle!

sage said...

Nice underwater photos...

Now, how did Shark Cove get its name? I remember hiking down into a Rattlesnake Creek along the Appalachian Trail in VA, and hearing that unmistakable rattle and looking down at the largest rattlesnake I'd seen up to that point in my life--over six feet long... I didn't realize how true the name could be!

Tracie said...

I've always wanted to snorkel but first I need to learn to swim. Nice pictures!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks like fun. I have never been. I have asthmas and I don't think I could handle the underwater stuff since I struggle to breathe as it is. Thanks for stopping over today and enjoy your weekend.

Cristin said...

I haven't been around much either...

LOVE the pics. Can't wait for my first swim of the year in the ocean.