Saturday, April 25, 2009

Noblesse Oblige

The little award that packs a big punch.

The gracious and creative blogger Kate, from What Kate Did Next, has passed on the Noblesse Oblige Award to Pseudo Land. It is a meaningful award and I couldn’t be more humbled. If you haven’t been to Kate’s you should treat yourself to a visit. Especially if you love to write. Her blog is inspiring and full of ideas for helping writers. One of my first visits there was this post, and I was hooked. I've gone back and read this post several times when I need help to slow down and not be anxious. Whenever the blogosphere gets frenetic for me, I hop on over to Kate’s to remind myself that I started this blog to connect with my creative side. Kate helps me to become centered.

Check out what Kate is doing to celebrate her 200th post.

The recipient of this award is recognized for the following:

1) The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.
2) The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage, and offers solutions.
3) There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture, Sciences, and Beliefs.
4) The Blog is refreshing and creative.
5) The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following steps:

1) Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
2) The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
3) Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older posts to support.
4) The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
5) Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

Thank-you Kate.

I’m a big fan and follower of Kate’s blog. In fact, her blog has shaped a lot of what I have done. Although my blog is not like hers in that I don’t write for writers and help them in their writing processes, many of my favorite posts have been written after a visit to her blog to center myself and to tap into my creative side.

When I started this blog I wasn’t really sure where I was headed. The first few months I only posted a couple of times and I knew nothing about creating a community. I had read blogs, but mostly education or news related ones, and had never commented. I liked the way the posts had links and would surf around, using the links to lead me to interesting reads.

The main reason I started a blog was that I felt like I needed something of my own. After many years of raising my children, running a home, working full time, and furthering my education; I felt sucked dry. My teens were doing more and more on their own. I had recently recovered from breast cancer and the breast cancer treatments… That experience reminded me to live my life more fully and to make time for me.

When I first got started, I thought my blog and my posts would be more centered around education.

But since it was mine to do with as I liked, it became a vehicle to rediscover my love for writing. I also learned to reach out and enter the blog world and make connections.

This post, a letter to the blog world, shows my sense of blogging discovery.

This post, the first one I really put some writing muscle into, helped me to feel like a writer with stories to tell that might reach out and touch some people.

This post got me started on my memoir writing, a genre to which I keep coming back.

My blog is helping me to carve a path into a future I did not know how to step into, taking me to place I was only dreaming of, and helping me to join communities I did not know existed.

I’d like to pass the award on to these bloggers:

Cristin at Tiptoeing Through the Tulips. How can someone be snarky, funny, dead-on honest, and absolutely fearless in her writing all at the same time? Check out Cristin and then you will know.

Don’t Worry It’s Only a Movie. Movie was one of the first bloggers I met. She is an educator who works with emotionally challenged children. Her wit and humor and her even mindedness resonate from every post. She is one of the most sincere bloggers out there.

Pam at McEwen’s. Pam volunteers as a giggle therapist in a hospital. That is her main gig but she also feeds the homeless, volunteers at a women’s shelter, and has even been to Africa in her service to help make the world a better place. She’s funny and a lot of fun as well.

Sprite’s Keeper. Jen created and hosts the Spin Cycle. I look forward to it and all the bloggers I have met through the Spin Cycle every week. She makes each of us feel like a personal friend.

True Blue Texan. This is the blog I thought I would have. But True Blue Texan does it so well I just read hers. Her posts are timely and she links to current events.

Words of Wisdom from a Smart Mouthed Broad. I am so fortunate to consider Smart Mouth my friend. Her blog makes you feel at home, takes you on road trips via a Harley, has great recipes, and of course, many words of wisdom. All told with wit and humor.

There are many other deserving blogs, but I’ll stop here and leave these folks some bloggers.

18 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah to you on your award.

cheatymoon said...

Oh my goodness.

Thank you, Pseudo. This means a lot, especially coming from you.

Stacy Hackenberg said...

Wow. Thanks so much for the award. I'm honored that you think so highly of me. I hope I can keep up whatever it is that brings you back.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a really wonderful award Pseudo and so glad that it was given to you. I'm off to read all those you've recommended.

Congratulations!

♥ Braja said...

Wow, there's a lotta readin' in this post, my friend :) Cool....:)

Fragrant Liar said...

Congrats, Pseudo! You deserve the Noblesse Oblige. I love finding new blogs, so I'll check out the ones I don't already visit. Thanks!

Casey said...

Congrats on the well-deserved award! It's nice to have a place to go that helps you get centered, maybe I should check out Kate's place!

I'm glad you hung around the blogosphere, I love stopping by and catching up with you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on such an awesome award.

I'm now off to click on some new reads. :)

Kate Lord Brown said...

"My blog is helping me to carve a path into a future I did not know how to step into, taking me to place I was only dreaming of, and helping me to join communities I did not know existed" - well put Pseudo! It's a daily reminder of how many extraordinary people there are out there - congratulations x

K Dubs said...

yay! congratulations, well well WELL deserved!!

Melissa B. said...

Thanks for the tip on Kate...I was just over there visiting, & I'm mucho impressed! I, too, thought I'd have an education- & student-centered approach to blogging, but this adventure has taken me so much farther afield. I have to say, also, that I'm a richer, better person from "friendships" formed with people like you, Pseudo. Thanks for that, and PS: Don't forget today's Silly Sunday Sweepstakes!

skyewriter said...

Glad to have found your blog through True Blue Texan. I read this post (and the links) and am peeking through your archives.

Your writing is powerful and gentle at the same time. Very real.

I look forward to more, more, more!

Cheers!

Cristin said...

Wow, you must really hate me... you know I can't stand when people say nice things about me...

ummmmm.... thanks....

;)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, thank you! I DO consider you a friend! You're my only friend in Hawaii right now! I also look forward to the wonderful wisdom and eloquence you Spin out every time. Truly, one of my favorite Spinners. Thanks again! I have to pass this forward. It's so lovely!

essbesee said...

Congratulations! You truly deserve this and all of your awards, lady.

bernthis said...

I just read Kate's post and i can see why you go back over and over again. Someone asked me a question about Phoebe when she was a baby and I did not have the answer b/c I couldn't remember and she is only five. Frightened me, to be honest

Pancake said...

Thank you so very much!!! It means a lot coming from YOU!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I tried leaving this comment from my phone but no die. Grrr.

Congrats and thanks for the MIB post. You're linked.